Sunday, January 2, 2011

Spotlight: Davey Richards

In light of Davey's incredible performance at ROH's Final Battle last month and resulting injury, whether work or shoot, I believe we all need to take a closer look at this amazing athlete.

Davey has wrestled for numerous promotions, including PWG, Squared Circle Wrestling (2CW) and abroad in Japan, for New Japan Pro-Wrestling. He's currently under contract with Ring of Honor and is a former heavyweight and tag team champ, most notably with Eddie Edwards, where they are known as the American Wolves.

It's no secret that the man is one of the most intense players in the game. Watch just one of his matches and you will see it.

I have provided you with some. Check 'em after the jump.







Davey Richards vs Low Ki/Kaval/That Guy in PWG. (Set to loud music though, so just watch on mute) Admittedly, this video focuses more on Low Ki, but I think it is definitely worth your time to watch. They're both intense competitors with very similar styles. I'd love to see this matchup in real life.



Davey vs Eddie for the first TV title championship. I apologize for the slightly fannish nature of this video. I think it's very well-edited though and it highlights their match wonderfully.



Davey Richards vs Matt Sydal/Evan Bourne in FOH. First of all, I have to say it's great to see Evan showing his skills and not just getting squashed right out of the gate. The man actually IS a talented wrestler. One of these days I should spotlight him. Anyhoo. Again, shows off Davey's intensity and his skills in the ring. Plus, Evan does some crazy high flying.


As I mentioned earlier, Davey has, until recently, been tagging with Eddie Edwards. I can't find a ton of matches, but here's a few good ones.



Wolves vs Steen and El Generico (OLE!), part one. Part two can be found here. This is basically just a full out brawl. With tables.



Wolves vs Young Bucks/Generation Me for the Tag Team Championship. (Only part 2, because apparently part one does not work.) The Bucks definitely bring it in this match, but then so do Davey and Eddie. An excellent match all around. Keep an eye out for both Bucks doing some of their crazy high-flying tricks.

One last video. An interview between Jim Cornette and Davey, about Davey's history and his future in pro-wrestling.



It's one of the best, most honest and heartfelt interviews I have ever seen.

I hope you've enjoyed this spotlight and some of Davey Richards' awesome matches.

At the suggestion of my anonymous commenter (thank you, whoever you are!) I'd like to add another promo from Davey. Takes place before Death Before Dishonor, back in June, when he was to face Tyler Black for heavyweight title.



I think that's the thing that makes Davey so appealing. He's so real. He's not a character, he's not a gimmick. He's just Davey, as he is.

2 comments:

  1. Look up Davey's promo before DBD. He talks about his whole life there, and it's so damn genuine I can't help but get drawn in. Davey doesn't do much promos beyond the 'I'm the hunter..." stuff, but when he does, he's sounds like he's coming from somewhere real

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to an ROH show in '06 when Davey was starting in ROH. I hadn't heard of him at the time, but was blown away by him in person. Ever since, I've followed him, and truly think he is one of the best in the world.

    ReplyDelete