Monday, July 18, 2011

RAW 7/18

Wait... what?





So... this is what happened.

Vince started the show as promised, announcing they were just going to vacate the title and were going to hold a tournament to crown a new champ. Also, the name CM Punk was never going to be mentioned again.

After a series of six more or less unremarkable matches to determine the final two (Rey Mysterio and The Miz) and one unremarkable Diva squash, with nary a sight of Punk, Vince came out to close the show and presumably to fire John Cena.

He postpones the title match to next week and Cena comes out.

After some back and forth -- and let me just point out that Vince McMahon was wearing a bright, Pepto-Bismol pink sport coat -- Vince is about to fire Cena wheeeeennnnnn...

Triple H's music hits.

Triple H comes out, looking very spiffy in a suit, and after several agonizing minutes of build-up (during which I was seriously just waiting for Punk's music to hit and him to come out with the belt on one arm, Colt Cabana on the other, and be like "Sup, bitches?")...

He fires Vince McMahon.

Vince cries. Triple H walks away.

End show.

Now, I had high hopes for tonight. I was worried Vince was gonna drop the ball. I mean, there was huge talk about last night and Punk and everything. So there was a ton of momentum going into tonight.

Plus, Punk had been tweeting almost nonstop about being in Chicago, with Cabana and the belt, watching the Cubs game. It was very "Look, here I am! I'm in Chicago! 200 miles away from RAW! There's NO WAY I'm going to be there tonight! No chance at all! Suckers!"

Which I was talking to mean "I'm in Chicago! There's no way I'm going to be at RAW tonight! Wouldn't it be SHOCKING if I showed up? Since I'm so obviously in Chicago right now?"

And then... nothing. Absolutely no Punk. (Though there was an excellent Punk sign: Punk 3:16 says I just stole your title!)

Granted, Vince McMahon getting fired is an interesting angle, I suppose. I definitely didn't see it coming and I am interested to know where it's going, but... I just don't know. I don't really think he's fired, just like he obviously really wasn't dead that time... and I don't think all that momentum is totally gone, but I think a lot of it has dissipated.

I'm mostly just... confused. And slightly disgruntled. I don't know; I think I have to think about it. I think it has the potential to be interesting, but it definitely doesn't have that "OH MY GOD DID YOU SEE THAT" effect that Punk has had over the past couple of weeks.

I'm willing to give it a chance though, and I'm definitely not ready to count Punk out yet.

I just... I don't know. What do you guys think?

No comments:

Post a Comment